It is my desire to have as complete a genealogical website as
possible, but with the world being the way it is, a measure of
caution is also appropriate. It is a bit of a challenge to
balance the right to privacy with a genealogical database that
has some usefulness. With that in mind, here is my approach:
- No birth data (place or date) are listed for persons
(presumed living) born less than 100 years ago. Since I don't
always have death dates for many entries, this is more consistent
than trying to flag living persons.
- I never post any of the following: Address
Telephone Number Social Security Number
- I don't send out my Gedcom file.
- Any Gedcom files I receive are treated as confidential and
never forwarded to any other person. Any information I post from
a Gedcom file complies with items 1 & 2 above.
- As it is possible to find a person's mother's maiden
name, it would be the course of wisdom to use some other
word for a credit card or bank account password.
Mother's maiden names can be obtained from public records, so
posting them on this site would not constitute any added invasion
- Source information, including e-mail addresses, is listed by
information from visitors to the site. However, the search
feature does report to me what has been searched for,
but nothing about who did the search.
- I will be happy to remove any person's data from the site if
that person asks me to do so.
- I receive inquiries at times about contacting living persons.
I will forward those requests on to the person in question or to
a close contact person, but will not give out the e-mail address
to the person inquiring.
- The Finger Family site is family friendly and does not
contain any "adult" material. Also, we do not use any pop-ups,
pop-unders, cookies, banners, adware, spyware, or similar.
- Learn more about Identity Theft