It is my desire to have as complete a genealogical website as possible, but with the world being the way it is, a measure of caution is also appropriate. It is a bit of a challenge to balance the right to privacy with a genealogical database that has some usefulness. With that in mind, here is my approach:
- No birth data (place or date) are listed for persons (presumed living) born less than 100 years ago. Since I don't always have death dates for many entries, this is more consistent than trying to flag living persons (Some search results may show the just the birth year).
- I never post any of the following: Address Telephone Number Social Security Number
- I don't send out my Gedcom file.
- Any Gedcom files I receive are treated as confidential and never forwarded to any other person. Any information I post from a Gedcom file complies with items 1 & 2 above.
- As it is possible to find a person's mother's maiden name, it would be the course of wisdom to use some other word for a credit card or bank account password. Mother's maiden names can be obtained from public records, so posting them on this site would not constitute any added invasion
- Source information, including e-mail addresses, is listed by permission.
- I will be happy to remove any person's data from the site if that person asks me to do so.
- I receive inquiries at times about contacting living persons. I will forward those requests on to the person in question or to a close contact person, but will not give out the e-mail address to the person inquiring.
- The Finger Family site is family friendly and does not contain any "adult" material. Also, we do not use any pop-ups, pop-unders, cookies, banners, adware, spyware, or similar.
- Learn more about Identity Theft and Genealogy.